The Church of Saint Peter
The church of Saint Pietro, also known as St. Pietro in the olive grove (for its position among the olive trees), dated back to the 9th century is the oldest church in Limone.
The church is in Romanic style, with a single nave. Inside a small white marble stoup and some beautiful frescoes, brought to light in 1989 and restored in 2006. The simplicity of this small church and the essentiality of its frescoes demonstrate how the life of the Community was once inspired by deep religious sentiment. The population maintained (until post-war years) the custom of using the church for penitentiary processions to implore the success of sewing and harvesting their crops, as well as to occasionally implore immunity from natural disaster, illnesses and epidemics. The frequency of the processions was reduced from once a month to only on Saint Peter’s day (29th June). The outside of the church is simple, there is a small portico where inscriptions of important events are still legible. For example there are phrases mentioning the plague of 1630, the defeat of Napoleon, bad olive harvests and bad seasons. Until the first World War there was a bell tower which was intentionally demolished because it was a dangerous point of reference for the nearby artillery installations in Crocette. This small church is therefore an extremely precious religious, artistic and historical relic.